Turkish Pita Bread Recipe
In Turkey our bakeries bake a special kind of pita called "Ramazan pidesi". Since this pita is only available only 1 month during the year, people form lines in front of the bakery. Most of the line are formed by people who fast and they are waiting to pick up their fresh, warm pita before breaking their fast. Rest of the line is not fasting, they are just excited with this amazing pita that is only coming out during religious fasting period.
When I was fasting in USA, this pita was the only thing I missed in Ramadan. I found a recipe on http://www.turkishcookbook.com/ site and have been doing this pita since 2007. Here I am sharing this recipe with you, after you bake it, you can freeze it and heat it in the oven whenever you want.
This pita is more delicious from other versions because it has milk in it:)
Turkish Pita Bread Recipe Video
Turkish Pita Bread Recipe Ingredients
YIELD: Makes 2 pita breads
7gr instant yeast
60 gr warm milk
360 gr warm milk
560 gr flour
8 gr salt
1 tablespoon olive oil or olive oil spray
1 egg yolk
2 tbsp milk
Turkish Pita Bread Recipe Preparation
1) Mix the yeast, sugar and 60 gram warm milk and stir well until yeast dissolves. Cover it with a towel and wait 15 minutes.
2) You can knead this dough by hand or you can knead it in stand mixer or in food processor by dough attachment. Mix flour with salt.
3)Add yeast mixture and 360 gr. milk to the flour salt mix. Mix them well. Knead it with hand 10 minutes or knead it in stand mixer of food processor until dough becomes smooth.
4)Oil large bowl and also oil the dough with your hand. This dough is very wet and sticky, you need to make sure dough is covered with oil so that it does not stick to the bow. Cover it with damp towel and wait 1 or 1.5 hour until dough rises to double to its size.
5) Place the dough on the lightly floured counter. Press all over it with your hands to get rid of air bubbles. We want to make sure we take all the air out from the dough so it does not inflate.Cut the dough in 2 equal pieces. Knead and give a ball shape to each, cover with a damp towel, and put aside for about 15 minutes.
6) Place parchment paper on two oven trays or pizza stone. Dust the parchment paper with cornmeal to make sure dough do not stick to the parchment paper. Use your palm and hand to flatten each ball into a flatter rounded shape.Lightly beat the glaze ingredients in a small bowl and glaze the dough with pastry brush or with your fingers.
7)We also want to shape the dough as shown in the photo below. We want to create a circle with our fingers close to the end of the dough and we also want to create baklava shape as in the picture.
8) After you shaped the dough, sprinkle some black or regular sesame seeds all over and cover with a clean damp towel. Leave for about 35-40 minutes to rise at a warm place.
9)Preheat the oven to 450 F and put some water in an oven-safe bowl. Place it on the bottom of the oven. Place one of the trays on the middle rack. Bake for about 8 to 10 minutes until the color becomes light golden.Place the pide on the cooling rack to cool it down a bit. Then bake the second dough. Serve while still warm.
Serve it as a rich sandwich bread
Freeze and grill it at hot toaster